Chapter 1 describes the adult and child population of Washington, DC over time and neighborhood, as well as the public school student population. Some questions that this chapter helps answer are:
- How has Washington, DC's population changed over time?
- What are the citywide trends of public school enrollment?
- Where do public school students live and are there differences by special needs categories (English learner, at risk of academic failure, and special education)?
- How many children are enrolled in private school?
- What is the forecasted number of future school-age children?